Skip to main content

Reply to "Pitcher Catcher discussions"

It wasn't college ball, high school instead, but one conversation my son related to me about him and a pitcher is one I'll never forget. The pitcher's dad had worked out a system where he would call out a set of numbers from up in the stands to his son for what the dad wanted his son to throw. Only problem was, my son would call a pitch that the pitcher would nod to, and then the dad would call something different out to his son, so he crossed my son up several times. My son was getting pretty mad about it, and after the third or fourth pitch that went past him, he picked up the ball and asked the ump for time out. He then slowly walked to the mound and began talking to his pitcher, never taking his mask off so there was no way to figure out what he was saying. All I could see was the pitcher briskly nodding up and down as my son was jawing at him. You could tell that whatever he was saying, the pitcher understood it clearly.

After the game, I asked my son what he was saying to his pitcher. His answer, "Trentons's dad was in the stands calling out pitches to Trenton, and he kept crossing me up when I'd call one pitch and he'd throw whatever his dad was calling from the stands instead. I got tired of him making me look like a fool, so I went out to the mound and told him that if he ever crossed me up again by listening to his dad and throwing the wrong pitch, I was going to come to the mound and knock him out in front of everyone." I thought that was funny as heck!

He didn't get crossed up again that year by that pitcher....
Last edited by 06catcherdad