Skip to main content

Reply to "Pitcher Development in High School - Importance of Facing Good Hitting"

Following up on the last post by SCOTT83 - Does anyone have some insight into the pros and cons of coaches calling pitches?  I am interested in the various levels starting in high school or age equivalent (assuming that is when you truly start having multiple options).  I have always heard that in MLB there is often a split between pitchers and catchers as to who "calls" the shots - not an ego thing but rather which player generally does a better job scouting the hitters while understanding the capabilities of the pitcher at hand.  20176 currently pitching varsity and there seems to have been some "learning curve" on both sides with coach calling every pitch.  While they seem in sync these days, the early games had 2017 throwing some pitches that he would not have chosen (either based on circumstances and/or his touch that particular day).

I suspect in college it stays with the coach making the calls based largely on scouting but would be interested to hear about any programs where they turn over the calls to the pitcher.  Mostly talking about starting pitchers here who may have to go through the rotation more than once - not flame throwing relievers who may only have a single pitch.