Skip to main content

Reply to "Pitcher Development in High School - Importance of Facing Good Hitting"

Iron sharpens Iron - That being said, i suspect "most" kids who are seeking D1 scholarships or access to playing on D1 college teams are in it for the baseball first. One, as the dream and continuing to chase it to the Milb or MLB and secondarily the challenge/competitiveness to succeed and impact your character, i would suspect less are taking critically difficult majors with post-graduate-baseball income as the primary focus. If yours is...kudos to you.

I would be curious to understand the %/ratio of Power 5 teams that have highly academic student athletes (baseball players). I know there are expectations for team GPA and the importance of that in regards to eligibility and monies extended via the NCAA. I think it would be less than D3s of course.

I am not talking about a 3.0 GPA in basket weaving. I'm talking about engineering, finance/mathematics which are the degrees that translate to higher levels of income instantly once you graduate. 13 of the top 15 paying majors (several show ties in salary) are engineering based, and the two others are Actuarial Mathematics and Computer Science/Mathematics.

I welcome any and all feedback, for the record...my son would be one of the "Dream-Chasers" in regards to the BIGS and is probably less focused the long view after college baseball. I believe kids need to prepare for life after college but also believe that this is the time to chase your dreams. We'll see how that works out.