Skip to main content

Reply to "Pitcher Missing High Consistently"

@2022NYC posted:

How did you manage your kid's throwing as a C/P? For my kid, he did very little pitching last year and over the winter an elbow impingement injury from a bullpen session retired him as a pitcher.

We never really used my son as a starter on the small field. He'd close out games or come in if there was a jam. He could always throw strikes and had a nasty knuckleball. When he got to the big field the team in the fall basically had no other catcher, so he didn't pitch much then or in the spring. Then last summer his coach (also his future HS coach) basically had him in bubble wrap because he was expecting my son to start at C as a freshman. He basically had the same type of relief appearances and only started one game. The game he started he threw 90 pitches. Other than that he's never thrown more than 50 in a game. 

This spring he pitched on the JV team for 1 inning once a week and played SS. He caught the V games and pitched to 3 batters in a game he was sitting because the coach thought he may need him to pitch.  

Right now I'm not worried about volume at all. His yips issue has him kinda lobbing the ball back to the pitcher and he's had no soreness all summer. His Teres Major area used to get sore if he caught 2 games a day. My only real concern now is I don't think he warms up properly because of the yips and I'm worried he's going to hurt himself throwing to a base.