Skip to main content

Reply to "Pitcher progression"

@RHP_Parent posted:

Just for clarity, my son is a junior D1 player.  He may not be thinking of high school velo.  And we never paid specifically for force-plate testing.  I think they do that testing at Cressey and other training facilities as a matter of course, and, for pitchers, I think "force into the ground" is the rationale.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be controversial, but just reporting on something that my son mentioned.  Good luck to the OP's player this spring!

Since we are clarifying, I’m not saying that the amount of force a pitcher can produce out of his post leg isn’t significant. It is. There is just a lot more to it than that. Creating a lot of momentum begins with the post leg. No doubt about that. But there is a whole series of athletic movements that need to take place after the initial load to deliver a pitch with maximum force. So I look more at overall athleticism than anything else (when evaluating the potential of a HS pitcher). Your son is way beyond that kind of evaluation. But I still don’t buy that force plate metric is being used as the main velo predictor by MLB scouts and D1 coaches unless they are guys that never pitched and don’t really understand the kinetic chain. Just like a high EV in a cage setting doesn’t mean a kid is a good hitter. The same principle applies here. At least that’s my opinion.