Skip to main content

Reply to "Pitcher progression"

Pitchers that throw hard have always been awarded a badge of honor. That was true when I played 40 years ago and its true today. But it shouldn’t be that way tbh. And I say that as a guy that wore that badge. In college I pitched on a staff that had 3 guys make it to the big leagues. And 3 more that pitched in the minors. I threw harder than all of them. But was I a better pitcher than they were? Obviously I was not. I think the movie Moneyball did a great job of describing the archaic thinking of buying players vs buying wins - and in order to buy wins you need to buy runs. In order to do that well you have to understand where runs come from. And which players are really good at doing the things that produce runs. Starting with getting on base at a high percentage. At the MLB, Milb, and high D1 level I think similar principles are applied to pitching. But those principles are not applied to youth baseball. Up to and including most HS programs. All the things mentioned by @ClevelandDad are essential to being a good pitcher but there isn’t enough focus on teaching those things. Because people are more concerned about making money than teaching the game. That’s assuming they know how to teach it. When talking about teaching pitching I often compare it to a pie that has been cut into 6 or 8 pieces. You can find guys that can teach about 2 or 3 of the pieces. But it’s rare to find an instructor that can teach the whole pie. So most of them focus on velo. An exception is Tom House who I think does a great all around job of teaching pitching. I don’t agree with everything he says but he is very knowledgeable, very accessible, and shares information freely. His Team Mustard app is really good. With the pitchers that I coach, train, instruct, and advise I find myself being a counselor as much as anything.