Skip to main content

Reply to "Pitcher progression"

@CADad949 posted:

Unfortunately, I believe most, but not all, college coaches will take the kid that throws hard, believing they can teach him to throw strikes rather than take the strike thrower and help them develop the velo over time.

College coaches recruit all types of pitchers for their program. This might be an exception for the top 25 to 50 programs where usually top arms can hit triple digits.  And of course throwing heat from the left side is a bonus. You also have to have at least 2 or 3 more offerings to be successful. And be smart as well as athletic.

It's not just about the FB. Not just about how you perform but how you fit into the teams philosophy. You may not realize that while you are being recruited.

You do not have to throw hard to be a successful D1 college pitcher. One of my son's favorite guys while at FAU was a 6'5" lefty, now a 5yr grad who was in the low 80s as a frosh. I don't think he throws past 85 but with his devastating CB, deceptive slot he is a winner. He has won awards for his academic as well as athletic achievements. Hunter Cooley is his name. Has beaten the best of them in and out of conference.

As some of you know son is an assistant pitching coach at a P5. It takes a LOT of work to bring out a young pitchers potential.  Hours and hours. Some coaches are better at it than others and some players are better at embracing their role than others. You want your son to be a winner and have success both on the field and in the classroom.