Skip to main content

Reply to "Pitcher progression"

According to a conversation that I have had with a mid D1 coach, JUCO is a great alternative for freshman athletes that need improvement on academics while needing improvement on their game.

I know from my own son that playing baseball and attending other sports at the school had to be a huge part of his college experience. I understand how @Dadbelly2023 son feels.  It's also dependent on the individuals career goals.

Also this discussion included how the D1 portal has changed recruiting. I see guys who began mid D1 now stars at big programs, or in reverse P5 D1 guys now at mid D1 programs who more than likely will play a lot more than at their first stop. I also am seeing many mid D1 players getting pre draft attention. They chose inexpensive state schools and played for 4, 5 years.

It's like a mixed bag out there but the player needs to find a starting point to begin the proper search.

2025s interested in D1 need to step up their recruiting NOW and be ready for this summer and fall. D2 is a great alternative, but many are very expensive.

If one has excellent grades, I agree JUCO more than likely not a good fit.

To my knowledge, D1 coaches in general do not recruit D3 transfers.