Skip to main content

Reply to "Pitcher vs catcher - 2020 changing positions"

Early in my son's recruitment (sophomore year?) the head coach of Iowa's only D1 baseball program, a P5, invited him to a camp. We were thrilled and went. Got an evaluation a couple of weeks later that basically said "don't call us, we'll call you."

Son went to various PBR events at the school, his travel team did a day there once a year, and (although I didn't know it) son kept texting and emailing.

Senior year, we were pretty much done with recruiting and just had to pick a school. But we kept seeing the Iowa coaches at son's games — first the RC, then the PC, then the head coach. And they came repeatedly. Finally son told me they wanted him to come to a camp in September of his senior year. I said no, too much money, they had seen him multiple times and hadn't offered, he had good offers from schools that loved him why bother? He asked coach about paying less for pitching only--nope, full price. Asked about coming to just throw a bullpen — nope, they wanted the camp. I finally knuckled under cause I love my son and paid for a pitching only slot.

Went to camp. He pitched, then starting screwing around. He "coached" third base (catcher asked HC--when did you tell us signals? I never got signals???), kids who were slow to get to their outfield positions found themselves sitting on the bench cause my son ran out and started playing. He had a wonderful time.

Finally, I see coaches in the dugout, looking for something or someone. Assumed they wanted to tell my son to stop jacking around. He finally comes in from outfield, and I see him at edge of dugout with a sheepish grin and his phone, waving at the HC. HC and PC pull him off the field for half an hour, then son texts us to come meet them all. They had offered him.

HC thanked us for coming to the camp. He said they knew they wanted my son all summer, but weren't sure we were interested until we committed to the camp.

Sometimes that uncertainty can run both ways. If it's doable, take it and run with it. Son just finished his freshman year and it's been a great experience so far. Very glad we signed up for that camp.