Skip to main content

Reply to "Pitcher vs catcher - 2020 changing positions"

My 2017 went through a similar process and I sent you a PM with more details on how he made the transition from a two-way C/RHP to a PO in college.

I do think having gone through a similar experience (and now several years out from it) that there are a lot of college coaches who see a great arm in a position player (often a catcher) and see the kid's future as a pitcher.  Despite what appears to be an endless supply of arms in MLB throwing mid 90's and up, there are just not that many kids born with great arms.  They do not care how raw a kid's pitching skills are if they see the arm potential and think they can develop a pitcher.  One coach said he was thrilled my son only threw 4 innings his Senior year figuring his pitching had been limited and arm not abused through his HS team.  Catchers are a specialty position that more and more coaches see value in pitch framing and blocking over throwing out runners (especially with fewer base stealing attempts evolving at most levels).  Hitting for catchers is a big plus, but I think what some coaches will see as your son's greatest asset is his arm.

Good luck on the process!