Skip to main content

Reply to "Pitchers and cold weather"

Originally Posted by fenwaysouth:

Today I watched the Univ of Richmond and Bucknell game with my youngest son.  It was 35 degrees with a 10mph wind.  There was one hit into the 4th inning.   The hitters didn't look comfortable.  The pitchers were "dealing" and thankfully moving the game along.  Both pitchers were wearing sleeves, and were allowed to blow on their hands. 

I've seen a bunch of cold weather games in the last few years.  I've seen games played in snow and freezing rain that turned into pitchers duels.  I think the pitchers and catchers are fine because they are constantly moving.  I think the position players and hitters have a more difficult time.  A pitcher can much more easily own that inside half of the plate, and make that hitter just a little bit uncomfortable in the colder weather.

fenwaysouth - we were at my son's games in Martinsville, VA.  He's a freshman at PHCC.  The weather was about the same yesterday and today.  The only difference was the sun was out all day today.  Yesterday it got up to about 35-36 F with light snow flurries during game 1 (they played a double header).  Sun came out late in the afternoon.  We were frozen by the 4th inning of game 2 - wife took the kids to the car.

The cold weather didn't seem to affect the PHCC pitchers much.  The starter in game 1 pitched well only giving up 1 hit in 8 innings. The starter in game 2 started off a little shakey - gave up two hits in the 1st inning - one of which was a 3 run HR.  Game 3 Corey Hanes gave up some hits, but pitched well. 

Garrett College's pitcher's seemed to struggle the entire weekend.  They pitched well at times, but gave up hits in crucial situations.  PHCC swept them in all 3 games, 4-1, 11-6 and 12-4 (mercy rule at the end of 7).  PHCC hosts Suffolk (NY) tomorrow - a double header.  We couldn't stay - wife has to work later tonight.  To be fair, the Garrett college game 3 starter pitched well, but the 3B and SS had several throwing errors to 1B (6-7 at last count) that allowed PHCC to keep innings alive.  It looks the cold weather affected the position players more than the pitchers.