Skip to main content

Reply to "Pitching and college camps"

I have always been an advocate for rest periods for pitchers, and we have always shut my son down in the fall/winter. However I have found that the real recruiting period for HS players are the summers though fall of their Jr and Sr years. Because of this we have had to adjust my son’s throwing schedule for this year. (and next year) (He is a 2011) It is not ideal, but that is just the way it is and you have to adjust because this is the only period that college coaches are really able to focus on recruiting.

So for this year we shut him down in August for about 5-6 weeks and got him throwing again for the fall scout ball and other fall tournaments. He will continue to throw through the rest of the winter, abet at a lower level until HS season starts. Even though he will be the number 1 pitcher on his HS team his HS coach will ramp him up slowly and frankly his big work load won’t come until league games get going much later in the season so it should all work out.

BUM and some others here have had their sons throw all year with no problems so it is done as PG mentioned. Again I personally prefer the rest, but for my son at least we will just do this for his Jr and rising Sr years.

The other thing I have discovered in this process is that although HS baseball is important, performing well outside of HS during the recruiting periods are much more important than how you do in HS. A perfect example of this would be that it is much more important to make the Area Code team than anything he can do in HS. It is the same with the big tournaments and showcases. As TPM said you have to lay this all out in advance and plan accordingly.