Skip to main content

Reply to "Pitching and college camps"

I am by no means an expert, but I will say this. If you are going to pitch in the fall at the showcases, be in pitching shape to do it. This fall is really the first time my son had taken extended periods of time off from pitching and we did it sporadically.

We finished summer ball at the end of July. He took the whole month of August off, then took two weeks to prepare for a PG Showcase in mid-September. Summer team doesn't do much in the fall, so we thought we were pretty much done with pitching. Two weeks later, got a call from a team to pitch for them in Ft. Myers WWBA. Thought it would be a good opportunity, so took the next week and a half to prepare for that. Then started Sunday workouts with summer team. His arm got a little sore during a practice, so we took the week off and then he pitched 3 innings the next week. Wound up with an elbow issue. Currently taking a month off and doing some PT.

Like I said, this was the most time he has ever taken off from pitching and I believe that the start/stop issue effected his elbow. He only pitched a total of 11 2/3 innings all fall, but I think the problem was he was really not in "pitching shape" when he did it.

So, I guess my point is, I would not go out and do these things half-hearted. If you are going to do showcases and camps in the fall and winter, stay in pitching shape. If you take time off, make sure you work back into pitching shape same as getting ready for HS season. Especially as velocity increases. Son is just a sophmore, so hopefully his elbow issue will be resolved for HS season and will be ready for next summer and fall. But, I will tell you this, we will do things differently next fall to be ready and in "pitching shape" for next falls showcases and tournaments.