Skip to main content

Reply to "pitching in college but never in high school"

Kingsman posted:

With respects, I thought it was about getting people out.

Just as some back ground, his last year in LL, he  faced 61 batters when he was not experimenting but throwing his stuff, and gave up just 5 hard hit balls,….a 12 to One ratio of batters to hard hit balls.   But we have the videos of those 5 at bats that gave up the hard hit balls.  And we see in everyone of them there was something incorrect about what we have since realized was his CORRECT delivery but did not know it at the time. Looking  back, we see when his delivery was right and he was throwing his stuff he knew worked, the videos show he never gave up a hard hit ball in two years time.    So if he had known then what to correct like he knows now and has already done that,  we really don’t believe he would have given up all 5 of those he did give up.. He might really have been 15 or 20 to One or even better. And that was with just one delivery. He really developed two. The other went 5 no hit innings on two outings  in all star competition and he never pitched that way again.  We didn’t know such as that made a difference at the time to have gotten him to still use it. Anyway if he got his pitches, his deliveries down to not make those mistakes, and got to where he could mix the deliveries together against a hitter in the same at bat, I don’t think we have any idea how good he might be. He might be 12 to One at the highschool level if he were playing now. By comparison, I have monitored Waynewright and Martinez for the Cardinals. They are pitching every third day or so and making millions a year and they rarely get as high as 4 to One in any game I have monitored or any other big league pitcher.  

He was not as fast as a lot of boys even in little league....but he got people out at a far better rate.  So he has a lot of room for his stats to drop and still have a chance.

Don't forget  Stu Miller had a fast ball in the 80's and he  pitched in all star games!

It doesn' t matter how fast you throw .... It matters whether you can fool the hitters..  And that's really all it does matter,  Kingsman

It matters which people he gets out and what kind of hitter he is able to fool.

The average Little League team produces one or two varsity high school players. Carving up kids who won't play in high school has no predictive value for what would happen if he ever faced college hitters. 

I'm going to close this thread because a conversation that compares a pitcher who never played on a 90-foot diamond to a major leaguer from a half century ago is just too silly to be allowed to go on.

If your grandson wants to play baseball in college, he needs to start playing baseball now. Help him find a team. Let us know how it goes.

Best wishes,

Last edited by Swampboy