Skip to main content

Reply to "Pitching Injuries"

Originally Posted by TPM:
Originally Posted by lionbaseball:

Some of the injuries to pitchers happen because of the ignorance of pitch counts. 

Our high school coach had my son throw 125 pitches and 140 pitches in two separate games.  Supposedly this coach was a pitcher in a small college during his younger days. 

Now compound this with kids playing in the field after pitching or pitching in one game and catching in the next. 

I think as parents we need to make a hard stand about this.  It's not easy being the bad guy especially with larger schools who have more kids to choose from. 

Its on you, why did you allow it?  

Thats the issue maybe, parents are afraid if they say something their son will not be in the game. Your son is being used that way because he is good.

Protect your pitcher.

In many cases, I think you are correct.  Parents are afraid to say anything.  I respect coaches and I say nothing up to the point where his health, well=being, and future are concerned.  My son made JV as an 8th grade student.  JV coach was a good guy, but was maybe 23 or 24 years old.  My kid threw about 140 pitches in one of his outings (typical JV defense) and he was erratic that day as well.  I walked into the Varsity Coach's office the next day after school and told him what had happened.  I didn't have to say another word.  Varsity coach took it from there and he never threw over 80 pitches in a single game the rest of the season.

As a parent, its a fine line and everyone hates parents who stick their noses in where they don't belong.  But when it comes to health and well being, I think its our responsibility.  I was lucky and got the right result without having to make a big deal out of it.