Skip to main content

Reply to "Pitching Inside"

quote:
Originally posted by 55mom:
Tg if someone was purposely throwing at my son, the coach had better show him some support and have a little talk with the ump. Maybe something else was going on you didn't notice? do you or your son have a bad attitude that makes him a target? Just asking 'cause he seems young to be playing the game of baseball with just vengence.
Our head coach asked for a warning during the second at-bat he was thrown at. The umpire didn't want to hear about a previous game(other coach promised my son he would throw at him) and denied it.

I say nothing outside the dugout when I coach other than positioning fielders. Everything else is for other coaches. When I was a head coach I was emotionally calm. It was hard to tell if we were winning or losing by my expressions.

My son has a great attitude. He plays hard, not with a vengance. This is one incident in who knows how many games over the years. The time he got cheapshotted on the slide at second and got a hairline fracture in his thumb and spiked on the bicep, he just happened to be the second baseman. He doesn't knockdown hitters all the time. He just knows how to do it. For the past two years he's pitched mostly in relief and couldn't risk putting extra runners on base.

He says very little on the field except calling out plays (when he plays infield), number of outs and being supportive of teammates who need to be picked up. He's a chatterbox in the dugout with his teammates. If you're wondering about my son's character, he's been named captain of every sport he's ever played at school by his coaches. He was appointed by his teachers to be a member of the student conflict resolution board. He's the kid every parent says is welcome in their house anytime.

This was about a coach being ticked off my son broke up a no-hitter with a bunt. If we were losing 8-0 I'd agree with the coach. But not at 3-0 where he got on base as the leadoff man in the last inning (two hitters later we had the tying run at the plate). I also don't think he liked we were still in the game against his team playing up. The second time he was steamed we beat them. He ripped into his team after the game for losing to a bunch of little kids (8th graders). I think it bothered him even more my son was the pitcher.

When my son was 9U and 10U the opposing coach was a jerk. One game he visited the mound and on the next pitch a pitcher who hadn't walked anyone, hit our batter in the head. We were the team that challenged this team in tournaments. We played them in every semifinal or final. And yes, it intimidated half the kids on the team.
Last edited by TG