Skip to main content

Reply to "Pitching inside. An interesting read."

TR I sent you one back you must not have gotten it I will send it again.

The bottom line on pitching inside is the metal bats changed the game and the way pitchers pitch. Hence all the work on going the other way because pitchers started working away so much. Now when these same kids get pitched inside with good velocity they can not turn on it. With wood if you try to pull the outside pitch you get a broken bat pop up or a weak dribbler to the right side in either case you get an out. If your late on the inside pitch you get sawed off and you are out. With the metal you still have kids that have success with a bad approach at the plate. Metal bats produce alot of success but also produce a ton of kids that can not hit with wood. That is why kids that can hit with wood are so valuble because so few can actually do it. Its another reason you see so many HS studs that cant hit their way out of a wet paper bag with wood in their hands. Put a kid in a cage and let him swing 15 or 20 times with metal. Then put the same kid in the cage with wood and just watch the difference. To me the best way to learn how to hit is with wood. It will let you know right away. It will bring out the flaws in your swing and approach and it will help you find that sweet spot in your swing. My youngest swings wood constantly in BP on the field and in the cage and switches over once he has put a few good swings together. Then he goes to metal and it seems every swing is right on the sweet spot over and over. This same approach has helped him hit for power and average at the HS level. He plays a ton in the summer and fall with wood. There seems to be no ajustment needed by him. One things for sure a kid that can not get around on inside heat with metal need not worry about playing past the HS level.