Skip to main content

Reply to "Pitching lessons and the Varsity Coach"

OHBaseball24,
I agree with most that the high school practice and team needs come before the individual player’s workouts, but at the same time I think we are making a mountain out of a mole hill. We sometimes make problems happen or at least anticipate a looming problem that never develops. I would never think twice about whether or not the coach liked the fact that I was getting my son pitching or hitting lessons on the side. I helped my son do both all through high school and I’m sure the high school coach knew it, but we never discussed it that I can remember…… . . I would have discussed it if needed to be discussed. No, don’t come to practice and tell the high school coach you won’t be able to throw because you just threw a pen with your outside pitching coach. I think common sense should dictate how we go about it.
It doesn’t take a PHD in psychology, or for one to be clairvoyant, to understand how a player succeeds in baseball. It’s really pretty basic. Talent, hustle, desire, and attitude will get you on the field and the LACK of talent, hustle, desire, and attitude will put you on the bench. I’m sure there are isolated instances where other circumstances have negatively impacted a player’s opportunity to get playing time but not often. In my opinion, I wouldn’t think pitching or hitting lessons would fall into that category.
Fungo

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.