Skip to main content

Reply to "Pitching mechanics and velocity"

Leeson, I agree with jdfromfla. You will get a lot of opinions from a lot of people on here. I am not a professional pitching coach, but I would say overall, you have a pretty decent foundation for your mechanics. They are not that bad. Are there things you need to work on and get polished? Certainly. No pitcher doesn't have things they need to work on from time to time.

I also see one of the biggest things you need to work on is your explosiveness. It looks to me like you are trying very hard to stay smooth throught your delivery in order to keep your mechanics consistent. That is good for practicing and trying to develop certain aspects of your delivery, but once you have that down, you need to actually try to throw hard. If you have engrained your mechanics into muscle memory, you should be able to try to really air it out and keep the mechanics you have been working on.

I would try to take what people are trying to tell you, apply what you think applies to you and disregard what you don't think applies to you. Also, if you try to change too many things at once, it will mess everything up, especially if you do it without the help of a pitching coach.

Find yourself a good coach (I know you said it is hard to do right now), get out there and work on trying to throw harder and keep your head up. I think that doing some long toss will help in that it will help train your body to explode in the attempt to throw as far as you can. Hang in there.