Skip to main content

Reply to "pitching question"

OA,

You're 100% correct. I've always told my son that this is his decision, but I have to admit that I have had to make him go out and practice a couple of times. I told him that his head coach (who he played for on 2 other teams) and the team itself, is counting on him to do what he knows he's capable of, and that if he wants to coast, he can play YMCA ball or he doesn't even have to play if he doesn't want to. I told him he has to do it for himself, not for me, I'll love him just the same no matter what. But, if he wants to sign up, the he needs to follow through and work on his skills in between team practices.

Maybe that sounds harsh, I certainly don't want to burn him out, or be "that Dad" (we all know what I mean) I don't feel like I am though, because he asks to sign up for every baseball camp, go try out for tournament teams, etc. He always gets pumped up after he does well in a game, and then wants to practice even more. He also gets excited when other kids come over for some ball.. I think sometimes he gets tired of playing with the old man:-)

So yeah, you're right and I need to keep that in check. Thanks for that, Really.

He is good at it though. He pitched great tonight again. I'm proud and I told him so.