Skip to main content

Reply to "Pitching Questions Answered here by MLB Veteran"

quote:
Originally posted by laflippin:
Rajun Cajun,

I thought Rich Rodriguez gave you a very reasonable answer to your question; however, I would go a little further on the subject of your concerns about a 9 yo pitcher's velocity.

The ASMI (American Sports Medicine Institute) has published several compelling studies of youth pitcher injury--their primary conclusion is very clear: Overuse is the biggest risk factor for arm injury to youth pitchers. And, the single pitch type that best correlates to arm injuries among youth pitchers? No, it is not the curveball or slider--it is the fastball.

Shocking? Hardly. "Johnny Stud", who can throw strikes in the low 50's at 9 yo, is going to be used more than any other pitcher on his team. The glory of being "team ace" will undoubtedly last for several years. Johnny Stud's father will likely support his son's chronic overuse, because he gets to bask in his little boy's reflected glory, as long as Johnny is going good and winning games.

If you have no idea what an immature growth plate is, and what the stresses of high pitching loads can do to immature growth plates, you should educate yourself.

Youth pitching at LL level should mostly be about developing kids' throwing mechanics and their physical condition for throwing/pitching so they will have fun when they are on the mound. "Johnny Stud" will be much better off, in my opinion, if he is on teams from 9 - 12 yo where at least 3/4 of his teammates share the pitching load.

Of course, "Johnny" and his dad will have to defer some accumulation of glory but, honestly, there is probably not much long-term satisfaction to be gained from 9 yo glory on the mound anyway.

Great informative post laflippin. I read something just recently in the latest issue of "Collegiate Baseball" that had a great article about this very thing. The main contributing author was the renown Dr. William Andrews. All this time I had scolded co-workers when they said their son's were throwing curves at 10, 11, 12 yrs of age. While it does stress their growth plates, it is the fastball that is the main culprit mixed with overuse.