Skip to main content

Reply to "Pitching stride - it'll come...."

RJM posted:

If a pitcher doesn’t stride far enough his stride foot hitting the ground becomes resistance to his body and arm. It makes the pitcher throw with more arm. Think of the effect when a vaulter pole hits the plant spot.

When the pitcher strides to the proper spot his body and arm experiences less resistance and the entire pitching motion is more fluid. There are enough ways to put wear and tear on a pitcher’s arm with making the effort harder on the mound. 

I have no doubt that this contributed to my son's sore elbow the end of his junior year.  He shut down for 3 months based on the opinion of  a well known ortho here in Ohio.  Tried to ramp it back up in January, but still was having some pain by the start of his Senior year.  Fortunately for him he ended up as the DH/1B and just called it a career with regard to pitching.  Not sure if he's working on it now to try to get noticed again...or if he's just doing it to say he did.  A former teammate of his who had TJ his junior year and didn't come back to throwing is getting some pro looks now as an NAIA assistant....maybe this has my son thinking about it again