Skip to main content

Reply to "Pitching stride - it'll come...."

mjd-dad posted:

I've been reading up on stride length and velocity this week too, in attempt to help my son target the appropriate off season non-throwing training exercises.  There is so much internet content on this subject, with many conflicting opinions that I feel the more I read the less I understand … and shit, I have college degrees in both physics and mechanical engineering.  The aggregate search results on this subject are quite frustrating and I am about to give up on the cerebral pathway to pitching stride enlightenment.

How do you help a 13 yr old pitcher (who lacks the maturity to embrace PT exercises but understands why adults carry a pocket radar to tournaments) understand "loading the back hip/posterior chain and using that to create momentum down slope of mound"? … seems that the boy needs to learn to feel it in his physical manifestation, and I should not expect him to think his way into action.  

Last off season, my son attended an NPA assessment weekend - the results indicated that his stride distance on flat ground was too short by ~16 inches (he was 6 ft tall at the time).  I can't have him worrying about stride length while he is competing.  

COACHLD - Are there one or two non-throwing exercises you can recommend that will lead to better mobility, stability and functional pitcher strength?

My son has a very long stride, sometimes I think maybe a bit too long.  He's never had a pitching lesson.  All I ever told him was fall down the mound (after loading, keeping right shoulder behind rubber, etc.).  At 13, maybe that's all he needs.  Load and explode...keep it simple, because as you mention, there are way too many ideas out there.