Skip to main content

Reply to "Pitching stride - it'll come...."

mjd-dad posted:

COACHLD - Are there one or two non-throwing exercises you can recommend that will lead to better mobility, stability and functional pitcher strength?

Not sure that it would serve you or your son very well if I tried to narrow it down to 2 exercises. My recommendation is to find a reputable training facility that is focused on holistic care of pitchers (think Cressey Sports Performance, Driveline, etc.) where they work on mobility, stability, strength and understand how the works hand-in-hand with the mechanics of a pitcher.  However, I can share a few resources that I highly recommend along with drill that will help develop the feel necessary to load the back hip.

Resource: Eric Cressey Baseball Content (search for pitching content)

Resource: Lantz Wheeler YouTube Channel / CVB YouTube Channel

Drill Vid: Load Drill - Great video from Wheeler on loading the hip and using that load to move efficiently down the mound. My favorite drill is the where pitcher is using PVC pipe to stabilize which allows him to load back. I like to tell our pitchers to think about driving the back foot thru the floor and feel the back hip/glute doing the work. I will tell them to poke their back glute to see if it is turning on. Sometimes they may not have the body awareness to feel initially so I watch their back foot to make sure that the back heel is not lifting early. Weight should be felt midfoot thru heel until they start to ride down the mound. If they are unable to perform the drill correctly despite coaching cues, it is usually a good sign that they lack the appropriate mobility/strength to make it happen.

Hope it is helpful.