Skip to main content

Reply to "Pitching velocity necessary to succeed in college"

quote:
If you are throwing in the 70's and you can get guys out, you may want to look at D3. I think even at the D2 level, you're going to see gas

BigDawg, I am not sure how familiar you are with DII and DIII baseball. My son was a teammate this year with two drafted from very high quality DII programs. One is 84-86, occasionally touching 87-88 and was the number one guy on a team that played for the DII national championship. The other is 81-82, maximum, throws a lot of pitches and is very crafty. Seems like he is always pitching out of the stretch, but he is also one of those guys that has hitters in the dugout wondering why they are 1-5 instead of 5-5.
At the top DIII level, as I said before, throwing in the 70's isn't likely to get many innings. As an illustration, there is a very good DIII not far from you. The top 6 pitchers last year had velocities that ranged from 84 on the low side to 91 on the high. The kid at 91 could touch 93.
On the other hand, there are plenty of DII and DIII programs where a lefty throwing 77-79 will get quality innings and have a great college experience.
However, for our original poster, Provi, there is every reason to think his velocity will increase from where it is now. At 82 mph and above, a lefty can get can find a slot and play some pretty darn good college baseball.