Skip to main content

Reply to "Pitching velocity necessary to succeed in college"

Hopefully in a few months I will know how important (A)academics and (B)being a LHP are in regards to being recruited. My son is is a LHP who throws mid 80's with (Ive been told) an outstanding changeup and very good curveball. Throws all three for strikes. He is 6'0 160 senior who will be the ace of the staff this upcoming year. Last year as a junior and #2 guy he threw 59 innings, 70 k's,12 walks, 56 hits and a ERA of 2.51.

Academically he is ranked #1 in his class with a GPA of 4.59 on 4.0 scale. We play for a Texas 4A school, so the competition is pretty good.
I only say this because (I'm proud) but we have not talked to any college scouts and our mailbox is not overflowing with letters. My son has sent out a few letters, but has not had much response. I do know that it hurts that he goes to summer school for college dual credit instead of playing top quality baseball. He also holds down a job. I'm sure the No Showcases attended on his resume hurts as well. This Fall we had a strong Texas Showcase team pick him up to travel with them to hopefully get some folks to see him. We are also hoping that his high school coach puts in a few good words for him as well.

Again, in a few months, I will let you know if good grades and LHP are a good combo in the eyes of a college coach.
Last edited by Danny Boydston