Skip to main content

Reply to "Pitching Verse Throwing High MPH"

quote:
Originally posted by playfair:
PG is a very good organization. They base their grades not on how good you are now but based on the top end of a players athletic ceiling (projectability).

I will tell you a story.

When my underclass son went to the California Underclass Showcase (with a lot of kids from his travel team) he was advised by his travel coach ... things like be a professional, tuck your shirt in, wear your hat straight, do not pull your pants over the heels of your cleats... No jewelry. Pants up, right belt, clean shave, no under armour half sleeves, etc,... really good advice that every ball player should already know.

The kid payed heed. Showed up clean.

This boy on his team showed up hat crooked, pants sagging and pulled over the heels of his cleats, big diamond studs in his ears, unshaven, not hustle, with a "tude".

Dropped every ball in the outfield ( I mean could not even track a ball!), struck out with an ugly loopy swing game time but hit a few BP bombs and ran a 6.5 60.

PG 10!

I have make a thousand jokes about that kid over the last 5 years. And, I have followed that kid.. Has not done a thing.

PG can project what a player has the ceiling to do. But a player has to work hard to take projectability into playability.

Not PG's fault. Player's fault for wasting the God given talents he has.

Now understand that 7.5 is one snapshot .. Sometimes an accurate picture and sometime a less than flattering one.

Use your kids evaluation to propel him.. do not push the 7.5 ceiling down on him but use the write up to raise his ceiling... Build on it.

I would never let someone tell my kid his ceiling... WE DEFINE THE CEILING! With feedback, hard work, focus and self belief.

Hmmmm. trying hard to believe that story.