Skip to main content

Reply to "Pitching vs, Catching"

Thanks Guys for the replies.....

USED2LURK - You hit the nail on the head.  The only reason our kid is not catching right now is because of his pitching skills. To his teams, his ability to go out there and win a game on the mound right now is his most important contribution.  He is also a solid hitter (always ends a season in the .300 - .350 batting average) so he always has a spot in the line-up as an infielder or DH/EH.  He too developed a soreness (never a pain) in his shoulder which was diagnosed as a weakness in a particular muscle and he was placed on a J-band program which has seemed to help but it highlighted the pressure he was placing on his arm when catching/pitching.

JABMK - Your point about 5'10" catchers is what I was thinking.  I Just want to make sure he has the proper preparation to achieve his post-HS goals.   The original intent of my posting was to gain insight from others who have faced similar situations.

CABBAGEDAD - Your comment; "But don't get too far ahead and forget to embrace the day....."  Is perfect.   It has been a great experience to see the kid develop and mature.  So few of the kids who started out with him 10 years ago still play.  It is a true blessing!

Again, Thank you all for your comments and insights.