Skip to main content

Reply to "Pitching without engaging the rotator cuff???"

Iowamom23 posted:

So this relates to a problem I was going to post about anyway. For the last two years our coach has brought in a training company that does a video analysis of pitchers and talks to them about any weaknesses or concerns they see in the pitching motion. They give the video to the kid.

Last night my son texted me "mom, I'm stressed." Apparently, the trainer, who is NOT a baseball coach, but a trainer, told him that the way he throws could eventually cause injury. Son was FREAKED OUT. He just hit 90 in his last radar gunned bullpen, has felt like his mechanics were better than ever, and two hours later he's convinced he's at risk of ripping his arm up.

A couple of issues: 1--his pitching coach died about two years ago, and he hasn't found someone he really trusts to talk to about things like this; 2--no coach from his school, his travel team or the many many colleges he's showcased at have mentioned this; and 3--the guy is a trainer, not a baseball person. I respect his knowledge of the body, but is this who we should listen to about this?

So how worried should we be? My own take is that pitching is inherently a pretty unnatural thing to begin with, but if there was real cause for concern, someone who sees him play day in and day out would have said something.

Any advice??

Just going out on a limb here BUT wouldn't it be true that MOST people who gain enough momentum to throw 90 would cause almost immediate injury?  I mean the player has to have a special genetically freaky arm to get there anyway right? These trainers are trained for the average human body...the freaks who are throwing 90 don't have an average human body.