Skip to main content

Reply to "Plate Umpire positioning"

Hello,

I am a Young Umpire 19, and through my connections and skill of 15 years of baseball, became a Umpire. I texhnicallt started when i was about 16 for my local park league...so to speak. But noticing how serious I was abor umping, i didnt fit in and was criticized in a way believe it or not.  So with the help of a fellow umpire, I started umpiring summer-ball (pony) (Ages 15-18) ($35) as well as Umpiring Fastpitch Tournaments. (Ages 10-18) (And for those who have experienced Fastpitch Tournaments...You know Its a treat) (Many *serious* & *good* teams pay/sign up to compete through a whole weekened, And the pay is between $210- $420 and even up to $700 on the bigger tournaments) And No Highschool Umpiring for Im a full time College Student.

But, none the less when I stared Umping all of this, I was only 17 believe it or not. I also was nominated by the coaches over many other umpires (18) to do the Umpire the playoffs (for Pony).  Mainly from their experiences with my Plate calling.  I am very accurate In my opinion and as well as to most.  The catchers even agree, and the coaches love me.  From all this, (not trying to sound cocky I promise lol) You could hopefully believe that I take Umpiring very serious and am very good at it and of course I extremely Enjoy it. But obtaining to the argument, all of this was done with me not using The “slot”. My head was always ether over the the catcher, (which was rare because I’m not to tall...or on his right shoulder. The only time I was in the Slot was when the catcher lined up way outside.  And this worked GREAT for me for the last couple years. And if this from the results of how people (parents, coaches, fellow umpires etc.) reaches to my Umpiring skills...all while knowing that I’m a younger Umpire (compared to the rest) and how younger umpires reputations usually slack and or are bad)  

BUT...a few tournaments ago.  Something unfortunate happened...in a way. I was critiqued by a “Expericed Umprire”. And HOLD ON. Lol.  It’s not unfortunate that I critiqued... but this so called “Professional and experienced” umpires critiqued me mid game In Front of everyone. This game was the “semi-final” game keep in mind.  And there was a controversial play on “blocking the plate” before hand which didn’t help my case. So when they heard him critiquing Me mid game, this made me look extremely rookie. What was he critiquing me about?  The Slot... He noticed where I was lining up and of course after the game...he didn’t explain anything To me   BECAUSE HE DID IT MID GAME Lol   Nonetheless... Here’s what I think about this...

And it’s very simple to an Extent. I believe the way I do it works for me...100%, better than the slot. And before you close your mind off to being changed, please...hear me out. There are many Things in life that are “1 wayed” so to speak with only one option that is the best.  And when doing any other option,  don’t expect to have equal to even better results. Some examples will be (in baseball terms throwing over hand... Throwing side arm is not the efficient way of throwing. Accuracy, speed, and even health all drops  when doing so.  So there’s only 1 way to do this for the “Best” outcome. Another example would be chopsticks for Chinese food/restaurant. Yea it’s proper/“Standard”, but A fork is much more efficient/easiest and the best way to do it, No arguement. And there are many other example that even can be given in a moral sense.  One that’s a little far fetched but true is Racism.  Was Racism/Discrimiantion a normal, acceptable, and expected  “Standard “.  Yes it was but things changed.  

So overall what is my overall thought on this argument? Someone made a good point above that missing a call an inch outside is easier to foul off then missing a call an inch inside and fouling that off.  And yes that is a good argument.  Of course another one is that being in the slot, guarantees that inside corner and even seeing the knees to be able to get the lower strike zone. But I feel that argument only obtains to Unpires that are tall and perhaps even line up in the middle behind the catcher where you can’t see the low strikes/Balls.  But where I stand is the essentially the “opposite” of the “Slot” so I see the guaranteed outside corner and can see the inside corner in the same way “slot” users would see he outside corner. The only reason why I favor this more is because 90% of pitches are in the outside corner. And I think that out weighs the whole “Inside pitches” argument. And I can also see he beaters front knee to have an idea for my lowest strike zone. And even so...say I wasn’t given his knee. When he’s in the box, (before the picture has started his motion  I would gain a sense of his height (his knees and his stern’m) to have the appropriate “strike zone”. But nonetheless, I see his knee and his chest, the outside corner which is 90% of pitches, and the inside corner from an angle.  

And Although this works GREAT for me and I would recommend this to anyone and everyone m, I am a intelligent person (I would like to think lol) and know that there is a professional standard, whether it might change or not.  And if In the minds of people feel that that’s what you need to qualify yourself for promotion to higher levels... that is what you must do to achieve that.  Otherswise, you should expect criticism by people who (for the most part jumped on the bandwagon) by people who were taught and feel this way is best. I would love to continue to talk about this though, on here or by Email. And I appreciate anyone who has read all of this lol. 

Email: DomGainey@gmail.com

-Thanks