Skip to main content

Reply to "Play Age or Class???"

Originally Posted by Golfman25:
Originally Posted by BadDad:

Summer Team:  New organization whose leader has a great resume (D1 All-American and AAA pro) and is a great person.  However, he remembers my son as a freshman and has placed him on a 15u team with some rising freshman and sophomores (my son will be a rising junior).  Coach says he will project better playing with his age.  I am concerned that no one is going to watch a 15u team, so I am considering instead trying to get into a few 16u PG events on teams that need POs (using the player/team bulletin board) and sending him to some college camps.  There aren’t really any other viable travel teams in our area, and I’m not sure he could play for one of the regional/national teams.

What’s the right answer?

When a kid get's into high school and is playing summer ball for exposure, he needs to play with his grade level (unless playing up).  Especially if he is going into his JR. year. 

You aren't clear if your organization has a 16u team or not.  If they don't and there aren't other options, then playing is better than not playing.  If they do have a 16u team and the guy put your kid on the 15u team, then I would seriously question if he has your kid's best interests.  Good luck.       

Sorry about that--they do have a 16u team.  But, as a new organization, it came over largely intact from another and they said they have no spots open.