Skip to main content

Reply to "Play up or down?"

@2SeamPizza posted:

When son was 7th grader (Aug birthday), he played spring middle school ball on the big diamond and spring weekends and summer ball with a 50/70 12U team.  That summer included competitive 12U league play in a high division and two weeks in Cooperstown.  In the fall he skipped 13U for 14U.  Really worked out well for him and that 12U summer is packed with memories that will last a lifetime.

It’s memories that last a lifetime for the parents. The kids are too focused on moving up to the next level. If not for this site I probably wouldn’t think back on my playing days at all played through college).

Last year I asked my kids if they think back on their high school and college playing days. My 35yo daughter laughed and said, “Dad, I have a life.” My 30yo son said, “Infrequently.”

My daughter said the last (non rec) softball game she watched she played in. Neither kid watches games on tv except playoffs of the hometown team. They both attend a handful of MLB games per year.

My daughter is still friends with three of her high school athlete friends. One of her college teammates was in her wedding. My son has two former travel teammates in his wedding this summer.

The two biggest memories I have from my playing days is we’ve called a friend who gave up a monster home run Hanger all his adult life. Even people who didn’t know him then call him Hanger. We call the friend who chucked an air ball on his first Varsity shot Air Ball.

Last edited by RJM