Skip to main content

Reply to "Play where you are good, or play where you fit the measurables"

cabbagedad posted:
2022 grad posted:

I think hitting for average is important, but it just doesnt seem the carry weight in recruiting.   Someone could say they hit .490 in HS, but as we all know,  pitching faced varies throughout the country.   He can hit .545 at the USA 15u Championships and go 5 for 8 as a Sophmore at the AZ Fall Classic and not get any buzz.  It just doesnt seem to draw attention like a bomb or throwing 90.  In fact, how does a recruiter judge hit for average when all they see are a few at bats and are told u cant trust HA stats?

2022 grad, you are correct but, first, you have to differentiate between hitting for average in HS or having a high BA for a showcase event and as I and others have stated, having the tools to be a good college level hitter.  The RC's are not looking for a guy to go 5 for 8 (although it can be a good indicator) at an event.  They are looking for the right mechanics and approach that allows them to barrel the ball against good pitching with good stuff.  A player can go O fer the event and still gain attention.  

This said, you are also correct that a guy that hits bombs or throws 90 will be far more likely to gain immediate attention.  A player doesn't "luck" into doing those things successfully.  Sometimes, a hitter will have a good event but it takes RC's seeing him a 2nd, 3rd, 4th time and confirming with references that they are seeing what they think they are seeing.  Your player is fortunate, though, that he has the speed tool.  Next to throwing 90, that is a tool that will show up with regularity over the course of an event.

The right mechanics can be a bit subjective with the recruiters/scouts, but the consensus on those I know and have spoken to, they don't use the box score. They are all eye test. The metrics just back up the eye test. If Hunter Pence was being recruited today, I am not sure he would get an offer from UTA.