Skip to main content

Reply to "Play where you are good, or play where you fit the measurables"

2022 grad posted:

BballHS, he hasn't been able to play both positions in school, they only have him at 1st and pitcher.  In practice he can try to take some OF reps, but not if it interfered with IF reps.  With travel teams and showcases,  we have had him play his primary position but I'll probably start listing CF as his primary, even though he has a very rudimentary skill set there.  I just need to get him more reps there.

Is there a reason he isn’t playing in the outfield for school?  Sometimes it takes more than writing ”OF” on a player survey to get a coach to pickup on the desire. Your son should attempt to talk to his coach.  I mean the high school coach will play him where he needs him. My son gets stuck at first for high school, a position he hates and will never play in college, the coach knows this  but when they don’t have anyone else that can make the picks he can, that’s where he plays. (Plus he’s fairly tall and left handed)  
Point being a “Coach, I’d like to earn some time in the outfield, what do I need to do?” could help your son’s situation a lot.