Skip to main content

Reply to "Play where you are good, or play where you fit the measurables"

2022: Where does your son usually bat in the lineup? It's unfortunate that your travel team and HS team are closely intertwined. One year, son was primary 3rd baseman at his HS. He did not fit the profile at all. As a statistics teacher, I couldn't understand why your best defender with the most range was at a position that has fewer "chances" than SS and 2B. We had joked that he was the fastest third baseman in the state. Coach felt that was the need and I guess the player at SS wasn't as versatile. Son could also cover the bunt better, but how many bunts are there? His hardest decisions were based on how many balls should he cut off the SS (often shorter throw). Coach told him to get all that he could. Son was still also "unstated" captain of the infield.

Son looked forward to his summer travel (Legion)team where he would be back to SS (or sometimes CF when injuries caused a lineup juggle). He was getting his "extra looks" from showcases he did (Showball, HF, Top96) where he would always bring an OF mitt along with his MI one. He would attend many "bang for buck" showcases where there were high #s of schools attending which he had previous contact. Versatility is beneficial if it fits the measureables. A 6.4 running singles hitter, high OB%, high SB rate playing 3B was questionable. For him though he still had these other fielding opportunities, and he was back to MI his senior year HS.  Best of luck to your son getting these "additional" opportunities to supplement his time at 1B/P.

I think I mentioned before to have your son's HTF time recorded by a "Third party." . It was helpful for my son. His HTF time was recorded late in college recruiting cycle (once by Baseball Factory and another by a college/pro showcase.