Skip to main content

Reply to "Play where you are good, or play where you fit the measurables"

As a HS coach, you have to do what it takes for your team to win.  One year I had a LH catcher and LH shortstop in certain situations.  We played a top team in the state and the coach laughed when we were warming up before the game.  The LH catcher threw out three runners trying to steal and they finally stopped.  The LH SS made two great plays up the middle that he never thought were possible by a LH SS.  They were both nominated for all-state at the end of the year.  The catcher made first team all-state mainly because of thrown out numbers and led the state in stolen bases.  He ended up going to college as a CF where he played most of his senior year when we finally got a freshman who could catch.  He still came in and caught the big games.  The LH SS was all-state as a LHP but played SS and caught when he wasn't pitching.  The coach who had laughed when we played them was their biggest supporter at the all-state meeting.  They won him over.  He said I never thought I would say a leftie was one of the best SS's I've ever seen coaching this game.  They both are playing college now as CF/LHP and LHP/DH.  You do what you have to do in HS.  Travel ball and college should be different.  I still don't see disadvantage of LH catcher.