Skip to main content

Reply to "PLAYER APPEARANCE = MEXICAN STANDOFF"

Nice points Midlo. I have changed some over the years. When I first started coaching it was high and tight and no facial hair. Now its no hair over your ears and hanging down to your collar. As long as its neat and not out of control I dont have a problem with it. The players though have their own rules. The seniors buzz their hair and they tell the other varsity guys thats the rule. And everyone falls in line. Now if one of those guys doesnt want to do it I am fine with that. But no one has gone against the seniors.

If you run a program right and you bring your players up in the program properly you dont have to worry about this type of stuff. Its a non issue. They police themselves. I never have to say anything about hustling on and off the field. Field prep before or after practice. Working hard in the cage or getting after it. How to wear your hat or your uniform. The guys that have invested in the program and take ownership in their program take care of that stuff.

Most kids want to be a part of a team if they are on a team. They want to be a part of something. I just dont have kids who want to be on a team and then dont want to be a part of a team. To me there is nothing more special than being part of something bigger than you. Being part of something special. If you want to be an individual then being on a team is the last place you should be. Its like mixing oil with water.