Skip to main content

Reply to "Player Confidence"

quote:
Originally posted by a.axum581:
I am a 10th grader in highschool and i have another big problem. Almost every time i get up to the plate i get nervous and start shaking resulting in a strikeout or a weak grounder or pop-up. People tell me all the time to just relax. Its easy for people to say that, but in my mind people saying that isnt going to help me. Durring practices i play up to my higest potential. I need help finding the problem before the 2010 season. PLEASE HELP!!

Hopefully you survived to this point a,axum581. I wish I would have been able to offer you this sooner.

As everyone who knows of me or reads my posts, I am always looking for the most simplistic (common sense)way to deal with things, either in motion or in someones head. On this topic of the gitters and the shakes. I know that many people posting have come up with remedies , and good ones at that for overcoming this. Most of the posts have helped with this as being a symptom of either a lack of confidence or maybe fear or both. For the posts that bring about gaining confidence, I agree, for the posts of overcoming fear, I agree.

The part that I would like to bring forward is that if confidence is there and there is no fear in the situation, then the shakes are a very good thing. We have been programmed to think this is bad when in fact, it is great.
If you understand that the body is meant to survive and that it does so with out us asking it to,(Scabs on cuts, we don't have to ask or make white blood cells move to the area, they just do) then you can understand that quite possibly when you are trying to achieve something great. Your body is trying to equipt itself. Who is to say that the shakes you are feeling is your neurons firing in such a way so that you can react faster than ever before? Your body is trying to elevate it's game to produce. With this line of thought, fear goes out the window, confidence elevates and now you can act.

This is seen as your "flight or fight" mechanism to some.

I choose "Fight" over "Flight".
Last edited by Fred Corral