Skip to main content

Reply to "Player Development roadmap for my 2024 Grad Year son - sure could use some advice"

1.  Find a travel organization that provides opportunities to develop, national exposure and ideally has a track record of moving players to the types of schools you are targeting.  Dont just hop teams because they play at national events

2.  Play for a team consisting of his grad year

3. Ideally his travel team will be connected to resources who can supplement what they provide in coaching/training.

4.  Dont showcase until their is something to showcase....highly recommend PBR showcase (specifically tied to what state you are in..all arent equal)....pg profile will come via participation in events.  

5.  As for budgeting time, yes...if all goes well your future summers will likely require at least 4 major tournaments.....I would allocate for at least 1 show case annually to track progression of metrics.....college camps may or may not have value......I wouldn't worry about that until hes further along his journey...and I wouldn't attend unless there was meaningful contact from their coaches...i.e. dont cold call the camp.

6.. by all means he should keep playing multiple sports if he enjoys it.....burnout is real

7.  More importantly, start to think of types of schools he wants to be at....daunting task in 8th grade, but the sooner you sort out, big vs small, geography and academics, the easier your process will be...and you need to be realistic about potential....not everyone can go to vandy.....dream big, but think real

8.  Most importantly stress to him to keep his grades up and get to an act as soon as possible....knowing where you stand academically will open many doors