Skip to main content

Reply to "Player Pool Estimation"

Francis, I’m going to give you an experience as an example. Back when my son was fourteen I was driving by Villanova’s field. It was when the Big East was a P6. Villanova struggled each year to make the conference playoffs. But it was P6 baseball. That day they were having one of three 36 player showcases. I stopped to check it out. I stayed for three hours.

Parents in the stands were wow’ed by how good everyone was. Many were intimidated on behalf of their son’s chances. Every kid was slick with the glove. Every kid had an above average arm. Every kid hit the ball.

i knew one of the Villanova players helping out. I walked up to him and commented I only saw four swings that would survive D1 pitching. The pitcher laughed. He told me his group of teammates he,long out made the same comment. The “four” happened to have been invited after being seen at PG East Cobb.

The moral of the story is it’s hard to tell how many kids can play D1. It’s in the eye and ability to recognize skills of the beholder. 

It looks like you’re trying to calculate your son’s chances again. Stop! If he’s getting good advice and recruiting help from his travel organization let him go through the process. If you’re asking you believe your son has a chance but may be marginal to play D1. If you’re right he may get to D1 and get buried in the depth chart. Let the offers come forward, sort them out and decide.

Your son is at the hardest part of the process for a father right now. His potential market spread has been identified. But there aren’t any offers. Wait for the offers. They will come. If you’re not careful you will end up with an ulcer.