Skip to main content

Reply to "Player Pool Estimation"

@Francis7 posted:

Thx. I'm not worried about an ulcer. I'm just amazed at how many kids out there are talented and who work hard. It's really an accomplishment for those who get through all that to play at the next level. I don't think the average person has an appreciation for the level of difficulty.

Getting through the recruiting process is just step one of the battle. Then the competition really begins. Recruiting is about talent. Sticking is about mental toughness. 

Once the recruits get to campus there’s about a 50/50 chance they stick with the team. The higher the level it’s likely they will transfer. At lower level they give up the sport. 

One of my son’s travel teammates took a P5 offer. It was a stretch. He never got on the field. He transferred to another mid major D1 and sat out a year. The next year by the time the season started he needed arm surgery. At that point he asked himself why he was bothering anymore. Academically he would be approaching his senior year without playing a regular season college game for three years. 

My son had an observation when he was playing. He felt everyone on the team (all 35) had the ability to start. He felt several of them were facing a challenge for the first time in their baseball life and lacked the mental toughness to endure. 

Last edited by RJM