Skip to main content

Reply to "Player Pool Estimation"

Well there are 297 D1 teams.  Just using 10 as a round number for number of freshman coming in, that means 3000 new D1 kids per year.  If you divide that by 9 positions, that's 333 per position.  Obviously there are more pitchers than any other position.  If we assume it's double....saying roughly 700 pitchers....that leaves 2300 kids for the other 8....or roughly 300 per position.   I would save that for every 1 kid I saw that ended up going D1, there are probably 3 or 4 others who could have if they "wanted" to....or "had the opportunity".   I guess based on that, we're at somewhere around 2000 pitchers and somewhere around 1000 for each of the other 8.   The issue is D1's don't recruit HS kids based on position.  They don't show go to a PG event looking for a RF....they go looking for the best player they can find and then decide where he'll fit in once he gets to college.  Typically SS, C, P and big power hitters are the guys getting recruited.  If you're one of the top shortstops in a HS class.....they know you can probably transition to 2B,3B or the OF if needbe.    Keep in mind that this is basically a guess.....but my son played with/against a lot of kids over the years in travel ball that ended up D1....I'm just basing this on what I saw.