Skip to main content

Reply to "Player Punishment"

I've read most of the responses and just wanted to add what I think.  I don't see a problem with this type of punishment but it shouldn't be your go to move.  Punishing the entire team needs to be like your 3rd step in correcting behavior.  You need to explain ahead of time before you step foot on the field / weight room / wherever what your expectations are. 

Team punishment probably should be happening at the HS level because there is still a ton of teaching HOW to play at this level.  At the college level a coach should know ahead of time if this is typical behavior for a guy.  You're the one recruiting him so you should know how he acts and you're the one who wanted him so why punish the team for your choice?

What I sometimes do is if we are having a terrible practice where most guys don't have it mentally to run to a pole and back.  I've explained ahead of time and reiterate after this wasn't a punishment.  Take the minute or so it takes to run to a pole and back to get breathing a little hard, get the blood pumping and get your mind right.  It usually works but not always - still dealing with teen boys.