Skip to main content

Reply to "Player Releases"

The biggest problem as I see it is the OBA isn't set up to deal effectively with the current situation. Either though an imbalance of power or apathy, unwilling to look at it big picture. My kids have lived through the transition, the first one's AAA team was decimated by the PBLO, it was early in the development for the local PBLO team and they raided 3 good teams and reduced it to a AA level. Truth is he wasn't quite good enough to play PBLO and fortunately he didn't buy into that expensive dream. 5 of the kids he played AAA with locally had quality D 1 offers, 2 are currently doing well and will graduate - 1 has a shot at being drafted. The other potental D'1's remainded in canada for a number of reason - injury - preference for a cdn education and one had academic deficiencies, a couple others went down for Juco and came back to Cdn universities. The second son is currently in the ECPL, having played for 9 years prior in AAA, made the jump at 16/17. Great local coaches who cared, and contributed vast amounts of time - at a cerain point development was hindered though. The difference in level of play between the old AAA and new AAA is dramatic.It was an incredibly difficult decison and $ was the issue between ECPL and PBLO. Even then it remains a stretch of resources.

There are close connections with many PBLO organizers and the OBA - past and current. As a result you have too many conflicting dynamics; the only way to resolve this is for an independant authority to step in and establish some form of central hierarchy. Maybe blow it up and rebuild it.

There is some recent progress as it looks like some of the more knowlegeable experts (scouts and TM CDA coaches) are looking to bring together opportunities for all. Unfortunate that they have to do this independantly as they shouldn't have to.

IMO many of the PBLO organizers have compromised the principles and spirit of the OBA, and lack a tremendous amount of personal integrity. Seeking to make thousands of dollars off of teenagers and parents is what ticks me off. Feeding false hopes to many to pad their pockets. (Apologies to those who do it non profit - few and far between).

In my perfect world, each local organization would
continue to operate under the regional umbrellas (ICBA, COBA, YSBA, TBA etc). Each regional entity would organzie elite all star teams (2?) that particpate in 2-3 high profile tournaments summer and fall - shutting down communally for a week at sometime to accomodate. Winter workouts and specific training sessions would be open to all at one central or a rotating location, (year round) anyone wishing to participate would be welcome for a fee covering costs (not being aware of governement funding - this could help offset partially) I am pretty sure that a good core system/team could operate for 3-4K - and parents would have an options as far as involvement. Those who wanted to play A, AA, AAA league baseball, and train in the winter, play fall ball and potentaially play 1 tourney could do so for about 2 - 2.5 K. Even houseague would be welcome for training sessions - how better to increase participation, knowledge, awareness and increasing future competitivenses while building a base?

Underlying benefit is that the talent pool remains consistent; options are available for level of play and cost... HL, A, AA players can workout in the winter, receive conditioning, play fall ball and improve as well. There will always be some issues with who gets picked, but this is offset with the additional laying and practice opportunites - a 3rd level team could also be created to play in a select fall or summer tournament. There would be money in this budget to help pay for expertise in training and coaching as well.

The biggest challenge is getting the local teams to work together - does Guelph want to work with Cambridge in this process? Does Newmarket want to to work with Barrie? Residency rules would still apply, scheduling would be the biggest area of interdependance really - local bias for players would factor in when choosing teams and by who - but by having 2-3 teams (if #'s permitted) this would limit the controversy.

Final thought - we are all good people on this board, I know I don't always agree with soe things that are posted - but BB Doll is a good guy who really does want to help, Remmie - I agree with you wholeheartedly on many points. Blexanne has been there and seen it as well. Passion about our kids and the futures of others as well is what unites us.

I think ut's time to go outside play some catch...the first time in 3 years we havem't been down south with BB. TG spring is around the corner.
Last edited by liner