Skip to main content

Reply to "Player Releases"

It's just a point of view but, if we allowed anyone to go anywhere they wanted in baseball, I believe its foundations would crumble.

A few itterations of the "grass is greener" and with such small numbers playing baseball anyways, many baseball centres would disappear.

The OBA rule that allows movement only within the affiliate until Bantam, although it does not work for our minority situation, is probably not a bad rule overall. The problem is each affiliate creates their own riders to these rules. I find it funny that Georgetown had to go Nationals-shopping outside COBA this year in Guelph, Etobicoke, etc. but, Releases were limited within COBA itself. The whole movement thing is an inter-related puzzle between OBA, Afilliate, and Affiliate member - not just the OBA itself.

I'd like to see more happening with development, particularly at the younger ages. You have a lot of kids come to tryouts at Rookie in the Toronto area and only twelve spots to fill on the AAA team. Somehow, we need to retain the other 50 or so kids. I almost wonder whether you could create a winter development league for players up to 11YO in sports domes in the major centres. This might build a stronger base at the younger ages.

Maybe Baseball Ontario hires some advanced HS baseball players to go out and assist teams with their practices throughout the summer.

Maybe they look at some of the ideas about different levels of play that liner suggests.

It's not that the OBA is doing nothing right now. I thought it was a good thing that the Hamilton Cardinals hosted that "baseball beyond HS" seminar a couple of weekends back.

Maybe if they started a roving coach the coaches thing going. This is kind of like an ISO audit, with an offer to provide training afterwards. Results are confidential.