Skip to main content

Reply to "Player Releases"

Actually when I marketed my son there was tons of video and net profiles. Same as today ! We did no showcases at all while many friends did .
A misconception about AAA, AA etc is that it reflects the level of play. AAA tend to be better but the OBA determines the designation based on population to draw players from. Our team was a AA size city that played AAA ! You can play up but not down !
I was there when the elite teams raided the OBA teams and the OBA reacted badly ! A once thriving organization was falling apart ! I have talked to the OBA many times and they had a hard time accepting what was happening and not all were unanimous about how to handle the situation. Team O had split from the OBA and the youth team was a disaster under Lumley ! Elite players were banned from playing on the youth team !
Eventually the OBA made up to the PBLO through the Team O coaches and that led to elite players being allowed to tryout and Ontario to regain their dominance in Canada !
The OBA had tried many suggestions such as roving coaches. They also had MiLB players in the Jays org hold skill days. Cogeco used to hold a skills camp with the Stompers, a Jay affiliate. We had college coaches from Brock teach our players skills pre season. Our local affiliate was doing it's best .
As the miget level approached many players dropped out and had other interests and it was hard to get 30=40 players out and even harder to get skilled players !
We also suffered under daddy ball and in fact my son was on the all star rookie team and wsa carded the next year as a call up. That was minor mosquito the 1st year of pitching. He was devastated but 8 of the best players were cut outright ! My son went through hell and the few times he was called up he was only used rarely ! I remember 1 game where the coaches were desperate and the were being mercied as usual and the coach said we only have BHD's son to go in. He struck all 3 batters out and they pulled him. Many more stories but the coach was fired mid season !
I have been there and done all that and never looked back. I also recognize the short falls of OBA but unless you are prepared to pay thousands so they can provide better coaches and venue you are out of luck ! Things were just as tough back when !We may have got more for our money but that is a reality of inflation !
Last edited by BobbleheadDoll