Skip to main content

Reply to "Player Speaking To Coach"

Hope this thread stays on "teachable moment" for a player talking to his coach, as soulslam relayed a good story on his son.

I have a recent similar story...MS private school baseball, team is very good, 6/7 good travel players.  Went 14-1-1.  (..to be fair, private school baseball is all over the map for skill level)  Coach isn't a baseball guy, but we probably wouldn't have a team without him.  Kids know more than the coach on running practices, game strategy, etc.  Kids don't respect the coach. Coach lets kids run the team, make lineups, chose their positions, eventually he loses control.  But no big deal, just kids playing ball.  Good, but kids now lazy (they snap back to disciplined when they get to their travel team).

And here's the teachable moment for my son.  Two outs, runner on second and third.  Coach calls a bunt three teams, kid fouls off all three and inning over.  My 7th grade son stops the coach at the third base line and asks, not yelling, but rather loudly in front of the parents, "why did you bunt, didn't you know there are two outs?  Anyways, Billy can hit, you should have let him hit."  Coach says oh well, get your glove and go to first base.

So son gets a talk from me after the game on respect, and not questioning a coach like that.  Son gets dropped at school early to find the coach and apologize.  And then life goes on.  Hopefully, he learned something from it.

Last edited by Go44dad