Skip to main content

Reply to "Player Videos on Social Media"

FlatGround posted:

Francis7 that statement definitely is not true.  Players should to take charge of their careers, rather than just hoping to be found...and risk falling through the cracks or settling.  Especially with it being both easy and free.   

Not sure it's even debatable.

The “if you are good enough they will find you” statement is definitely not true. But kids are told this all the time - mostly by HS coaches - and it’s evidence of the huge disconnect between HS baseball and summer travel ball. Over the past 15 years or so the emphasis has shifted from HS to travel ball. Many HS coaches resent this and they flex their muscles in various ways as a response. College recruiting doesn’t go thru the HS HC anymore either the way it used to and many HS coaches don’t like this either. Because of all this most HS HCs don’t do all the things that the really good HS coaches used to do. Like stay late and help a kid after practice or make calls to help a player get recruited That is travel ball stuff now. Some old school HS coaches haven’t accepted the change and hence you get statements from them like “if you are good enough they will find you. I don’t want to hear about you wanting to go to showcases and tournaments in the fall.” Those were the exact words I heard from  the HS coach at the first booster club meeting during my son’s Sophomore year. Unbelievable.