Skip to main content

Reply to "Player Videos on Social Media"

@Francis7 posted:

We see them all the time - mostly on Twitter. Was taking to a player today and his response on such posts was "Nobody any good gets seen that way. Show me five 2022s or 2021s who are committed because someone saw a video clip of them on Twitter."

This true? Is sharing videos on social media a waste of time?

I guess, it depends on what you mean by social media.   Twitter/instagram/facebook... probably doesn't help you much if at all.   Youtube videos with a link that you can include in an email while reaching out to programs, I believe that has had some influence in my 2024's recruitment.   

Will Twitter and Facebook advance someone's recruitment?  I don't believe that it will unless something is tweeted from a reputable organization that you can retweet and tag specific coaches that you want to see the video.

Our experience is that videos on twitter etc... won't do much to move the needle with the exception of some specific outstanding performances.   For example, my 2024RHP pitched in Jupiter for the WWBA, had a great showing, and PG sent out a tweet/video about his performance.   My son retweeted that video to assistant coaches at schools he had targeted, and immediately had four or five coaches start following on twitter.   Did that lead to scholarship offers? No, but I wouldn't say that it was totally a waste of time either.   I do believe that a kid posting his own high school videos on social media is pointless.     

I do however believe that it is helpful to have some video on Youtube.   When my son was reaching out to coaches, he would include a link to a YouTube video of him pitching.  By looking at the number of views he could see that the coaches that he was sending emails to were watching the video. 

It seems to me that there are two kinds of baseball prospects.  There are the kids that everyone has already taken notice of such as the kid that was held back a year of school in the 8th grade, and hit all of the major PG showcase and PBR tournaments while posting eye popping statics like, 92 mph fastball in the 10th grade.  And then there are the kids like my 2024 who has to put in some effort to even get on a college programs radar.   I don't think that you can ever fault a kid for doing all he can to get on someone's recruiting board.