Skip to main content

Reply to "Players and Coaches"

Coach Bob,
I’m with you for the most part but wonder about the last statement. Does he just not like this particular coach or does he have a general “fear of coaches that aren’t his dad”?

Assuming it is the former, I would first determine specifically what he doesn’t like about the coach. As 2016 said, he may have a valid concern. If it isn’t all that valid, some additional dialog might include..

If we try hard enough, we can find something we don’t like about every person. The key is to focus on things we do like about every person.

Let’s list the reasons that we are taking lessons from coach X. Are these reasons more important than whatever it is you don’t like about him? Coach X can probably think of something he doesn’t like about you if he tried, but he seems to be more concerned with helping you become a better pitcher.

Together with coach x, list goals you are trying to accomplish with the lessons. Focus on reaching those goals.

If appropriate, identify coach x as the person most qualified to help him become the best pitcher he can be at this time(aside from himself). Relate back that his attitude toward others is also going to go a long way in determining how good a pitcher he can become. He will always have to work with coaches with different ideas and philosophies than his own in order to continue to improve.

Now, if he is a 12 y.o. that has a fear of all coaches that aren't his dad, this is a scenario that I am ill-equipped to even make suggestions.
Last edited by cabbagedad